Doctors Accused of Euthanizing Down Syndrome Teen Against Family’s Wishes

Doctors Accused of Euthanizing Down Syndrome Teen Against Family’s Wishes

Doctors in Wisconsin have been accused of euthanizing a teenage girl with Down syndrome, against the wishes of her devastated family.

19-year-old Grace Schara died at Appleton’s St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in 2021.

According to the Schara family, Grace had been given a do-not-resuscitate (DNR) order without their knowledge or consent.

She was then given a lethal cocktail of drugs that ended her life.

As Grace started to die in the hospital, the family alleges that doctors refused to resuscitate her and stood by while she passed away.

In a Facebook post, the family members say they plan to sue the hospital and accuse the doctors of intentionally killing the teen.

Grace had been given a cocktail of drugs — Precedex, Lorazepam, and Morphine — which are known to cause hypoxia, or low levels of oxygen in body tissues.

“As Grace slipped into acute respiratory failure and Grace’s sister begged for help, instead of starting CPR immediately, the nurses refused; Grace’s physician had independently designated her as a ‘Do Not Resuscitate’ (DNR),” the family’s statement said.

“That DNR order was written without the family’s consent and in defiance of the Schara family’s express wishes that all lifesaving measures be deployed for their Down [s]yndrome daughter.”

The family has filed paperwork with the state of Wisconsin to begin the lawsuit process, according to WND.

“St. Elizabeth’s not only breached the Standard of Care, but their unethical behavior led directly to Grace’s death,” Scott Schara, Grace’s father, said.

“It’s clear to me that this hospital was a dangerous place for Down [s]yndrome patients like my daughter.

“My Grace was discriminated against due to her disability and she received grossly subpar healthcare, in clear violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act.”

In a website set up to keep the public informed about the court case, the family spoke lovingly of their life with Grace.

They say she referred to her third copy of the 21st chromosome as her “love chromosome.”

Grace’s Down syndrome didn’t stop her from doing anything, her family said.

Both Grace and her mother caught COVID-19 during the pandemic.

Although she was doing well, the family had been monitoring Grace’s oxygen levels out of excess caution.

When they dropped below 90, they took her to the emergency room, where it was recommended that she be admitted into the hospital.

“We never would have considered that this would be a dangerous place to put her in,” Schara said.

He added that doctors tried to place Grace on a ventilator, citing results from a blood gas draw.

However, the concerned father asked them to run the test again.

When they did the test again, it came back within normal levels.

Then, he said hospital staff began pressuring them to give a preauthorization to ventilate Grace if they felt it necessary but the family refused.

By the fourth day of Grace’s hospitalization, Schara said the head nurse came in with an armed guard and told him he was not allowed to remain in her room anymore.

“Obviously, because I was challenging the protocols I was seeing,” he said.

“So I called an attorney friend, and he said, ‘Scott, just leave peacefully.’

“And I gave Grace a hug… you know, I could just see in her eyes she was sad.

“That’s the last time I saw her.”

Grace’s mother, Cindy, was not allowed to be with her daughter as a replacement advocate because she had COVID-19 as well.

As a result, Grace was left alone in the hospital for 44 hours.

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Grace had the right to an advocate.

The family tried to get Grace’s sister, Jessica Vander Heiden, approved as a replacement advocate.

However, the hospital staff failed to respond to the request, according to the family.

“No doctor or nurse came to me and said anything they were doing,” Vander Heiden said.

“I had to overhear what they were saying.

“They were just making decisions on their own, without even communicating with Grace’s power-of-attorney, which was my mother.”

One of the drugs they administered to Grace, Precedex, is not meant to be given for longer than 24 hours.

Nevertheless, doctors had given the maximum dose to Grace for four days.

Then, during her last day in the hospital, they added lorazepam and morphine, which Schara said is known to cause death.

The family alleges that hospital staff gave Grace this lethal cocktail of drugs to intentionally kill her.

“They gave Grace a combination of drugs that none of us could have survived,” he said.

Meanwhile, Vander Heiden noticed that Grace’s hands were growing cold, but nurses shrugged off her concerns.

Eventually, she realized she couldn’t find a pulse, and her eyes were rolling back in her head.

She begged the nurses to come help, but they refused.

When the Scharas begged them to help, they responded that Grace was DNR.

According to the family, Grace had been placed on DNR by hospital staff, against their wishes, and without their knowledge.

Vander Heiden said she watched helplessly as dozens of nurses stood by and did nothing as Grace slowly died.

“We not only hope that justice will come for Grace but, also, for the hundreds of thousands of lives stolen by this medical tyranny,” Vander Heiden said at a press conference.

“These crimes against humanity must stop.

“They need to be held accountable for their actions.”

(Article by Frank Bergman republished from

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post
Follow us on TruthSocial, X-Twitter, Gettr, Gab, VK, Anonup, Facebook and Telegram for interesting and mysterious bonus content!
If you are willing and able 👉 PayPal donate.
Free mail

نموذج الاتصال